Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52

Thread: Growing Hearts

  1. #41
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Growing Hearts

    You must understand that I do NOT think we should try to be at war for no other reason but to advance technology (I do not belive that) however you can not ignore the fact that War in general leads to BIG advancements in Technology.

  2. #42
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Growing Hearts

    NASA lost a lot people just trying to figure out the details of space exploration in the 50s and 60s I guess it was. You did have Columbia and Challenger who blew up as well. You have had other die in training as well I believe. Im not talking warlike numbers, but still a considerable amount. I will see if I can search for details.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  3. #43
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Growing Hearts

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Counts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You must understand that I do NOT think we should try to be at war for no other reason but to advance technology (I do not belive that) however you can not ignore the fact that War in general leads to BIG advancements in Technology.

    </div></div>
    Advancements from war are a double edged sword...cuz most of the time those advancements are designed to kill. In addition, many of the "advancements" are not of US origin...Germany advanced technology largely through experimentation on human prisoners.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  4. #44
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Growing Hearts

    Wrong one [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img] I'm old enough to remember the guys trapped in the training and burning. NASA had as many troubles as anyone. This is what happens when you set out to "beat" someone to the moon, or any objective. It pushes things, and with a limited budget you have to set a safety limit and go to work. Sometimes you make mistakes. Sometimes you are the edge of knowledge.

  5. #45
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Growing Hearts

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sup-rbeast</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Counts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You must understand that I do NOT think we should try to be at war for no other reason but to advance technology (I do not belive that) however you can not ignore the fact that War in general leads to BIG advancements in Technology.

    </div></div>
    Advancements from war are a double edged sword...cuz most of the time those advancements are designed to kill. In addition, many of the "advancements" are not of US origin...Germany advanced technology largely through experimentation on human prisoners. </div></div>
    We stole as many of the German scientists as we could. Most people don't know about the germ warfare that the Japs used on the Chinese and the fact we got most of that data since we took the country. But we never tried many of them, as the Germans were. "Other holocaust" http://www.geocities.com/mustsellsoo...ta/maruta.html

  6. #46
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Growing Hearts

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 722</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NASA lost a lot people just trying to figure out the details of space exploration in the 50s and 60s I guess it was. You did have Columbia and Challenger who blew up as well. You have had other die in training as well I believe. Im not talking warlike numbers, but still a considerable amount. I will see if I can search for details. </div></div>

    Youre right, there was some of those cases back then. Really I mean nowadays or really the past 20 or so years except for the 2 shuttles. This day in time NASA doesnt lose too many and like you said not warlike numbers. I am guessing maybe a few hundred or so all together (may be way off) but if so thats about 2 or 3 months in Iraq alone.

  7. #47
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Growing Hearts

    Most folks also don't know that the US perfected some of the Germans bio weapons from WWII....our gov always whines about chemical and biological weapons in other countries, but we have enough of the nerve agent VT stockpiled to kill everyone in the world 400 times.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  8. #48
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Growing Hearts

    I'm purty sure that is what happened to my brain. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

  9. #49
    Inactive Member imported_Woody's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 22nd, 2008
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Growing Hearts

    Unfortunately, people are more willing to throw money at war than at peace. It is easier to rally people towards a common enemy than a common solution.

  10. #50
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Growing Hearts

    Not disagreeing with any of you guys but the whole war/tech boom is not limited to the US or this century heck the steam engion was invented by an english military engineer.


    Necessity is the mother of invention

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •